I have shared with you before that I am a member of a group with do.Good Stitches that makes charity quilts. The group that I am a part of donates our quilts to Enchanted Makeovers, a non-profit organization that updates, or makeovers, shelters for abused women and their children.
It’s has taken me a while to get this quilt finished. Well, that’s somewhat true. It did take me several months to get it finished, but then it took at least that long to get pictures of it. I didn’t have a good way to take pictures of larger quilts (this one is twin size). My honeyman was making something for me to hang large quilts from for picture taking, and he took his sweet time. But we finally finished so I was able to get some pictures and am now able to share this fun quilt with you.
I asked each member of the group to make a wonky house and a wonky tree. It could be pieced, paper pieced, or applique. There was complete freedom there. I also didn’t want it to follow a pattern. I wanted it to be very improv. So I didn’t provide them with any instruction other than the idea below. I designed this in excel when I was away from EQ7, so it is very rough. But it’s gives you a good idea of what I was looking for. (Bet you never thought of use excel to design quilts!)
The finished blocks only needed to be within a certain size range. The idea was to fill in the space between the blocks with scraps of fabric to keep the ‘improv’ look throughout the quilt.
I regretted that decision! It turned out great!!
Ok, so it did take me a while to fill in all the spaces. It turned out to be much easier to do on excel, than to actually do it with fabric. I did a LOT of rearranging of the squares and a LOT of measuring. Followed by a LOT of praying when cutting into the fabric just hoping it would be the right size. And then I had to get very acquainted with partial seams. And sometimes I even had to take out a seam and adjust things.
Here I am in the middle of trying to put it all together. I have the left half done. Just have to do the right half.
Whew! I finally got it together and quilted. I love how FUN it turned out to be.
Here is a close up of some of the blocks. I quilted it with a meandering loop-d-loop. And I washed it before taking pictures so it has a wonderful crinkly look and feel. I could just snuggle up under it.
I also asked each member to make a fun additional block if they felt inclined. And one member did. She sent me a really cute dog. Since I didn’t have others, I found it very challenging to fit it on the front of the quilt, so instead it because the honorary quilt label on the back.
A special thanks goes to A Stitch in Time quilt shop in Franklin, NC, for providing the fabric for the back and binding. If you’ve never been to this shop you really should make a special trip. It’s one of the most beautiful shops I’ve even been in, and the people are just the nicest!
Measures 70″ x 90″.