Flaming Star

If you follow me on Instagram (@monkeyneedle), you may recall last summer and early fall when I was working on a ‘secret’ project.  Well, I am so EXCITED that I FINALLY get to share it with you. I HAVE JUST BEEN PUBLISHED IN A MAJOR QUILTING MAGAZINE!  My quilt is in the March/April issue of Quiltmaker magazine by Fons and Porter.  EEEEEKK!!!

Introducing FLAMING STAR.

img_5810-1

It is amazing how long it takes to get through all the steps: design, submission, acceptance, making the quilt, quilting the quilt, mailing it to the magazine so they can take pictures, write the article, and then make it part of an upcoming issue.  Whew!

I designed this quilt about 15 months ago.  It took me about 3 months to get up the nerve to submit the quilt design to a publishing company.  And then it took about 6 months for them to say they wanted to use it.  Things moved faster after that.  I spent about 6 weeks piecing the quilt, and then sent it off to the quilter who had it about 4 weeks before she was able to get to it.  Then in the mail it went, and about 3 months later it was returned to me.

THE FABULOUS LONG-ARM QUILTING on this quilt is by Andrea Walker at Walker Quilt Co.  Her work is just AMAZING!!  Go check her out.

img_5819-2

I really wish I could have taken a few more pictures.  We had a snow storm moving in and it was extremely windy.  Right after I snapped the picture below, the wind ripped the quilt from the XL binder clips holding it and it went flying through the air.  I caught it on my head.  It was quite funny!  Getting it clipped up in another location for more pictures was also not working.  So, maybe another day.

img_5823-2

It’s all about color placement!  The quilt is designed using just two simple blocks.  Each block is 14″ square. It looks more complicated than it really is.  The color placement gives it the striking look.  I’m usually not big on borders, but in this case I added a 3 1/2″ border (1/4 the block size) and carried the design into the border in certain areas.  I then faced the quilt, rather than binding it.  I have been doing that for many of my quilts lately if I don’t want a ‘frame’ around the finished look of the quilt.

Pick up a copy of the magazine at your local stores today.  My quilt got a small inset on the front cover (top right corner), the full quilt just inside the front cover, and a whole layout with directions on how to make you own version on pages 30-35.

Fabrics: All Kona Cotton Solids in white, shadow, steel, Jamaica,  Bahama blue, robin egg, baby blue, and coral.

Measures: 77″ x 77″.

Linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and  Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts

From Design to Reality

I am part of Facebook group called Quilt Design a Day.  The goal is to design one quilt each day based on the prompt for that day.  I haven’t yet found the time to participate on a daily basis, but I do participate here and there.  One of the prompts last year was the following picture.  We were to design a quilt and then make the quilt for possible acceptance into a special exhibit at QuiltCon in Savannah next month

qdad-quilt-con-spark

Photo credit: Michelle Wilke                         @ Factotum of Arts

I started playing around with the different lines.  I design in EQ7 and love how flexible the program is.  I can design multiple variations of the same quilt and save the block and the quilt to go back and look at later.  Originally I decided to play with the black and white angles, and maybe a little bit of the windows.  Here are 3 quilt possibilities that I started with.

mosaic

Then I decided that I wanted to play with the windows a bit more and came up with this.

maybe

But that felt too heavy to me.  The windows were just too block-y.  What if I turned them on-point?  I turned them, played around with them a bit, and came up with this.

fractured

I like it, but it’s still not quite right.  What if I elongate it?

capture

YES!!!  I LOVE IT!

Then I had to make it…  Of course, it took longer than I thought it would.  Of course, it was a headache in many ways.  The angles were quilt difficult to line up.  I made a smaller version than I really wanted because I started it just 2 weeks before it was due and I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to make a large quilt in that time period given that I also work full-time.

And… I didn’t finish it!  If I had had one more day, I could have finished.  But I didn’t.  Oh well.  At least I finished and it didn’t join the long-term UFO pile.  And any finish is reason to celebrate.

img_5745-2

I wanted to do some special quilting on it.  Sometimes I like a bit of design in the quilting rather than just a straight line or an all-over meander.  This is probably the reason I didn’t finish the quilt by the deadline, but I love the way it looks.

img_5802

Here is the back.

img_5803

Measures: 34″ x 47″

Fabrics: Kona Cotton Mediterranean, Kona Cotton Prussian, Kona Cotton Carrot, Kona Cotton Snow, and Kona Cotton Shale.

Linking up with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and  Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts