Anchored with Love

Happy 2016!  2015 was a year of many changes, some of which I haven’t seen the purpose for yet, so I’m very excited to see what 2016 brings.

I’m starting my sewing/quilting year off with a project I just love.  The two oldest grand kids just left after visiting for a week.  While they were here, they batted their little eyelashes, smiled their sweet smiles, and asked me to make a pillow for their mom.  They decided they wanted an anchor on the pillow.

So I pulled out my small scraps- blue they said.  Well after looking at the scraps we decided to use turquoise colors instead of blue.

IMG_3190

We used various turquoise values and prints and they helped lay them out onto the traced image we had of an anchor.  And then we decided to add the heart in coral to show how much they loved their mom.  From my stash, we used a light grey print for the background and raw edged appliqued the anchor to it, and then used a dark grey solid as the border.  At the last minute I decided it needed a little something extra so I added the piping around the edges.

I love how it turned out and honestly hated to give it away.  I would be happy to have it in my house.  I just love the beach, and since we’re living in the mountains now, it made the sand, sun, and surf seem just a little closer.

IMG_3195

Finished at 15″.  Used a 16″ pillow form.  The back is done using an envelope closure so the pillow cover can be removed and washed if needed.

Linking up with SewCanShe for Show Off Saturday

Pillow Pop

I finished a beautiful pillow today.  We are doing a pillow exchange at the Triangle MQG this month, so I made this pillow for my secret pillow partner.  This pattern is called Gumdrop and can be found in the book Pillow Pop.  Our pillows were supposed to be 18″ so I had to adjust the size of each block slightly.

DSC_0338-002

I had a lot of fun making this, and love all the bright colors.  From what I hear, a long running stitch is all the rage in modern quilting now.  So, I decided to quilt this pillow using the long running stitch, and I love how it turned out.  I really hope she likes it!

DSC_0354

I have another finish this week as well.  I finished my challenge project for the Make it Right Challenge with Art Gallery Fabrics.  I have not yet been able to take picture though– it’s been rainy all week, and today was much too windy outside.  Hopefully one other day this weekend I can get some pictures taken and show it to you.  In the meantime, here is a sneak peak…

DSC_0356-001

DSC_0252-001 sneak peak 2Oh, and I made one more square for Quilts for Boston and got those mailed off to the Boston MQG.  Click here to see the other blocks I made.

DSC_0260-001Overall, a very successful sewing week, fit in with work and a Kenny Chesney concert.

Linking up with Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts, Link a Finish Friday at Richard and Tanya, and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

Losing My Marbles

Well, this past week has been pretty bad for work. I’m working lots of hours; but it is tax season, so I guess it comes with the territory.  In fact, in the last 3 weeks, I’ve had just one day off.  If they were normal 8-hour working days, it might not be so bad.  But these have been 10-14 hour working days.  And I think I’m about to lose it – my marbles, that is!  So therefore, I think tomorrow will have to be another day off for ‘my sanity’.

Due to my crazy work schedule lately, I really haven’t had much time to sew.  I did finish up a baby blanket I was crocheting for a co-worker.  She is due in just 4-days so it really had to be done.  I forgot to take a picture of it though, so I guess I can’t show it to you.

However, I will share with you a project I designed and completed before things got crazy at work.  I am working on a pattern for a quilt and I wanted to make a few test squares.  They turned out really nice so I decided to turn them into a pillow.  I had it designed and made in part of a weekend, so I was very thrilled with how quick it all went together.  The flowers inside each circle are machine embroidered.

DSC_0672

I also decided to practice some free motion quilting.  This is an area I really need to work on, but I’m pretty pleased with how this turned out.

DSC_0680-001 DSC_0681-001