So, 2 weeks ago I gave you a teaser on what I made for the Make It Right Challenge sponsored by Art Gallery Fabrics. I was finally able to take some pictures on a recent visit to our beautiful Duke Gardens, and I am ready to share it with you. Drum roll please….
It’s an umbrella and/or parasol —
I thought long and hard about what I wanted to make for this challenge. I thought there would likely be a lot of quilts and bags, and I wanted to do something different and unexpected. Before this, it never crossed my mind to recover an umbrella; but out of the top 3 things I had on my list, that was the one that just seemed to stick in my mind.
So I ordered the fabric and started looking for a frame. I found a cheap 60″ umbrella on a popular online electronic commerce website. (I definitely wouldn’t recommend what I bought for it — I had two shipped to me and they were both broken in one way or another. I had originally thought I might turn this into a pattern, but if I do that I would need to find a better quality umbrella frame.) And, on retrospect, maybe I should have gone with a slightly smaller version. This 60″ wide umbrella is big enough for two!
Once I had the pattern designed, it wasn’t very hard to piece it all together. It is pieced with Aurifil thread which stitched wonderfully. The only broken thread I had was when I was sewing with the ‘pedal to the metal’. Getting it on the frame though was a different story. Let’s just say there was a lot of trial and error, and several days of refitting. It has been treated with a waterproofing product, so although I took pictures on a sunny day (sunny days just work better for picture taking), it can be used in the rain.
All entries are to be uploaded to AGF’s Pinterest board today. I can’t wait to see what everyone made. Voting is done by pinning and liking. Please do not pin from this site since it cannot be tracked. You actually have to pin from the Art Gallery Fabrics board on Pinterest. Go take a look and vote for your favorite (hint, hint). Here is a link to the challenge entries and mine is under “Make It Right – Apparel”. http://pinterest.com/artgalleryfab/make-it-right-apparel/.
I still had about 10-days left until the deadline for submitting projects, so I thought I would just ‘throw together’ a baby quilt with the left over fabric and submit it as well. Honeyman laughed at me in thinking I could just ‘throw’ something together – I tend to lean more towards the complicated projects rather than simple ones. I thought it was possible, but I ended up getting sick for about 5-6 days and was not able to get it finished in time. But here is a sneak peak of it. Hopefully, I’ll have it finished in the next week. Although it won’t be finished in time to be submitted for the challenge, a finish is still something to be celebrated.