Remember the wonky log cabin blocks I’ve shared with you the last couple of weeks. Well I have all 35 blocks made now, and some of them are very wonky. I auditioned several different colored backgrounds based on solids I had on hand already. I decided I really liked the darker blue backgrounds. The blue I chose ended up being the one I had the most yardage of. I really liked the other one better, and I might have had enough, but it was just too close to be sure and I didn’t want to get 90% done and then run out.
Turning them into a square, rather than a wonky, 13 1/2″ block has proven to be challenging. Not because it’s hard, because it’s not. I could just cut a strip the width I need (3″ wide should be largest enough for most sides), sew around all 4 sides, and then trim to be square discarding the parts that I trimmed off. That would be easy, but it would create a lot of waste and a lot of new scraps. In the example below, the piece I cut off is approximately 1 3/4″ on one end, and 0″ on the opposite end. Which basically means I can’t use this scrap on another block and it will have to go in the scrap bucket. Oh the horror!
Remember the whole point of this was to use my scraps, not create more. So I have been challenged in how to square up each block with as little waste as possible. I started out trying to use a spreadsheet and that didn’t work. Eventually I moved on to a post it note that I could pin to each block. Still took me a bit to figure out how to measure what each block needed. Don’t worry about trying to figure out this mess. I’ll give it to you in a nutshell below.
What I have come up with is to pair up the squares, and then to cut the strips wide enough so that what is cut off of one block is close to the right size to fit on a different block.
I put the block on the left under the ruler centering it as best I could between the 13-1/2″ finished square size that I wanted. I’m working with just the right edge of that block right now. It measures 2-1/2″ from the top edge and 1″ from the bottom edge. (see below) Add 1/2″ to both of those numbers for the seam allowances for each fabric, and that means I need a piece 3″ wide on the top and 1-1/2″ wide on the bottom to finish the right edge of this block. The left edge of the other block I measured the same way, and for it I needed 1-1/2″ on the top and 2-3/4″ on the bottom (no picture). So I took either the top or bottom measurements, which ever were the largest in total and then added 1/4″ for safety. In this case, the top measurements were the largest so 3″ left block + 1-1/2″ right block + 1/4″ for safety means I need to cut the strip 4-3/4″ wide.
Here is my 4-3/4″ wide strip between the blocks.
I might trim 1/8″ off each of these in the end (remember we added 1/4″ for safety). Also, this method is taking about 10 times longer than it would otherwise, but at least I won’t have much wasted fabric when I’m done. So, in that manner, I’m meeting my goal.
Also, since I cut a strip 4-3/4″ by WOF (width of fabric), I still have about 34″ left of that strip after the two blocks above. So I matched up more blocks that needed that same width (or close to it) and did the same thing with those blocks using up that entire strip I just cut. Do this same thing for all 4 sides of each block. I made 35 blocks, so in this case that’s 140 sides!
Let me know if you would like to try this or if you have questions on how this is done. I can write up more detailed instructions.
Now to work on squaring up more of these blocks. I’m ready to get this thing put together.